Home Site Map Back

SOURCE: Bell's Weekly Messenger, No. 1795, Sunday, August 22, 1830

[Anglo Saxon Vault, Ancient Coins]

In clearing away some houses on the south side of Tooley street, Southwark, for the approach to the New London Bridge; a very ancient and curious vault has been discovered. It formerly belonged to the monks of Lewes, in Sussex. Dugdale mentions it as having been swallowed up by an earthquake; but the present remains prove that statement to be fabulous, as there is not one stone out of place. It is principally constructed of fire and free-stone, and measures 40 feet long by 16 wide; it has semi-circular arches, with groins in the intervals, supported by columns, with neatly carved caps. The architecture is entirely of the Anglo-Saxon style. The earth has accumulated to the height of 4 feet, which hides three parts of the column. At the south end are two semicircular-headed windows, and on the mullion is the date, which appears to be 1011. On the west side are two niches, and a door, with a subterraneous passage, which formerly communicated with St. Saviour's church. In digging within this vault, a number of ancient coins have been found.—Mirror.