Home Site Map Back

Bell's Weekly Messenger

London Ancestor logo

(No.1828, Sunday, April 10, 1831)

City Improvements.

By the demolition of some few houses on the Smithfield side of Newgate street, the beautiful Gothic front of the New Hall of the Blue Coat School is exhibited to the public view, and does much credit to the architect, Mr. Shaw. It is intended that two more houses shall be rased to the ground on the expiration of the leases, which will soon fall in; and an iron railing is to be placed in a line with the fronts of the houses in the street, with a grand carriage entrance to the establishment in the centre, which will prove very ornamental. Several other important improvements are contemplated in the city.