Home Site Map Back

Source: Bell's Weekly Messenger, No.1803, Sunday, October 17, 1830.

Dreadful event at Woolwich Barracks.

Considerable excitement has for the last few days prevailed at Woolwich, by a rumour that Lieutenant Edward John Jones, of the Royal Horse Artillery, had been killed in a duel by a fellow brother-officer, and that it was the intention of his relatives to bury him without any investigation of the circumstances. This report, however, proved to be incorrect, although the deceased met his death from the effect of a pistol-shot under very afflicting circumstances. An inquest was held on Tuesday at the King's Arms Tavern, Woolwich, before Mr. Charles Junior. From their evidence it appeared, that on Tuesday night (the 6th instant) the deceased, who lived in his quarters at Woolwich Barracks, went to his bed-room in apparently good health and spirits. The next morning, about seven o'clock, William Sinclair, his groom, went into the room, as was his usual custom, and was astonished on finding two candles burning in the sockets of the candlesticks, and his master not in bed, nor, from the undisturbed state of the clothes, had he been in bed. Upon looking behind the screen which divided the room, he discovered the deceased, quite dead, sitting on the sofa, with his head reclining over the side, weltering in blood, which appeared to have come from his mouth, although his lips were closed. An alarm was immediately made, and the attendance of surgeons procured, who declared him to have been dead for some hours. The deceased was undressed, with the exception of his drawers and stockings, about which a pistol was found hanging, which appeared to have been recently discharged. Upon opening the lips of the deceased, the upper jaw was found to be completely shattered, and the ball lodged in the back part of the head. The deceased had, a short time before he entered the bed-room, been spending his evening with a party composed, in a great measure, of his brother officers, where he appeared in high spirits. Several present there where examined at the Inquest, and all gave it as their opinion that the deceased, who is highly connected, had never meditated suicide, and that the discharge of the pistol must have been caused by some accident whilst he was expecting it. Verdict accordingly — Accidentally shot. The inquest was attended by numerous friends and brother officers of the deceased, and it excited considerable interest.