Home Site Map Back

The Royal Benevolent Society

The Royal Benevolent Society, Sussex Chambers, 10, Duke Street, St. James's, W., established in 1857, for the assistance of persons in distress, by granting loans on security, without interest, to persons of good character; by endeavouring to procure employment for such persons, by granting small sums to those whom, with a trifling assistance, would be enabled to emigrate, and affording them any other aid in the power of the society; and for the encouragement of industry, and the collection and diffusion of information tending to ameliorate the condition of the poor. The society is more particularly intended for those who have seen better days. During the past year, it is reported that 159 persons receive loans; 61 obtained employment; and 39 persons, whose circumstances were thoroughly investigated, received special gifts in sums varying from 5s. to 72. The total number of cases investigated and reported on during the year has been 810.
Treasurer, Viscount Raynham.—Secretary, W. H. Maitland, Esq.

SOURCE: The Charities of London, by Samuel Low, Jun., London: Sampson Low, Son,
and Marston, Milton House, Ludgate Hill. 1861.