Home Site Map Back

Operative Jewish Converts' Institution

Missionary Societies.

Operative Jewish Converts' Institution, Palestine Place, instituted 1831. To furnish to the poor Jewish convert the means of earning his own maintenance by teaching him some trade. Since the foundation of the institution in 1831, 468 Jewish converts have found an asylum within its walls. During the past year 24 have been admitted as inmates; 18 have left. The number now in the institution is 21, which number, together with six journeymen, make a total of 27. The amount of subscriptions and donations received during the year has been 620 : 11 : 5. The total expenditure has been 963; of this amount, the sum of 734 : 17 : 4 has been expended upon the inmates exclusively, in food, clothing, rewards, etc.; the remainder, viz., 541 : 1 : 10, represents the whole cost of management for the past year. The expenses of management, charged to the trade account. Subscriptions applied exclusively to the support of the inmates.

Treasurer, John Twells, Esq.—Hon. Secretary, Mr. William W. Willson.— Principal, Rev. John G. Tipper.

SOURCE: The Charities of London, by Samuel Low, Jun., London: Sampson Low, Son,
and Marston, Milton House, Ludgate Hill. 1861.