Home Site Map Back

National Guardian Institution

National Guardian Institution, 46, Bedford Row, W. C., established 1825, for the protection of families, and the encouragement of good servants. The Servants' Royal Provident Society, established in 1847 at 49, Great Marlborough Street, was closed in 1854, and its junction with the National Guardian then took place. Upwards of 100,000 situations, it is reported, have been obtained for its members in the families of the subscribers. In connexion with this institution are almshouses for the accommodation of 10 aged servants, situated in Raven Row, Mile end Road, in which there are at present the full number of inmates, receiving each 13 per annum. Income about 1,000.

Subscribers of 1 : 1s. annually are provided with servants, and servants paying 5s. annually are provided with situations.

Treasurer, William Tooke, Esq.—Sec., Mr. Frederick Brough.

SOURCE: The Charities of London, by Samuel Low, Jun., London: Sampson Low, Son,
and Marston, Milton House, Ludgate Hill. 1861.