Home Site Map Back
Source: The Illustrated London News, Sept. 8, 1866, p.245
The new Church of All Saints, Kensington Park, which was consecrated by the Bishop of London on the 9th of April last, was erected for the accommodation of the district parish, which has been separated from that of St. John's, Notting-hill. The Church of All Saints was commenced ten years ago by Dr. Walker, Rector of St. Columb Major, Cornwall, who subsequently made it over to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, on the condition that he should have the nomination to the incumbency. The church, which cost £25,000, is but the fragment of the grand design conceived by Dr. Walker, being a mere torso of a group of buildings which was to have resembled a convectional establishment. The church comprises a western tower, a nave with aisles, a transept, a chancel with half aisles, and a sanctuary. The nave is of four bays, with three to the west; the clerestory arcade consists of four plain lancets, under a comprising arch. The large west window is of four trefoiled lights, with geometrical tracery. In the north transept the space below the rose window, designed by Mr. White for the reception of the organ, looks blank and naked, the instrument having been raised upon supports in the south transept, so as to block out its windows. The church is internally 130 feet long, and 58 in width throughout the nave and chancel. All Saints' Church forms a striking object from the Great Western Railway. It was designed by Mr. W. White for Dr. Walker ten years ago; and, after remaining the greater portion of that time in a state of threatened ruin, it has been completed by the brother of the Incumbent, the Rev. John Light, of Trinity College, Dublin, formerly Curate of Shadwell.