Home Site Map Back
Source: The Illustrated London News, Nov. 16, 1850, p.377
This Church, situated at the mouth of the port of Rye, among shipping and the houses and towers occupied by the Coast Guard, lately consecrated by the Bishop of Chichester, was built during the summer of 1849, at an estimated cost of £933 11s. 8d., and contains 110 sittings. The architect is Mr. Teulon, of Lansdowne-place, London: the builder is Mr. J. Judge, of Rye. The edifice is plain early Gothic; it is of blue local stone, with Caen stone groins and mouldings: the walls and roof are unusually strong and massive, the situation being extremely exposed to the south-west winds. The campanile, the simple proportions of which have been much admired, comprises at once a bell-tower, an organ-gallery, and a porch.
The Church is about two miles from the site of old Winchelsea, which was suddenly overwhelmed by the sea A.D 1287; the sea, however, has now for many years been receding.
The building of this Church was projected, and has been carried through, by the Rev. H. B. Whittaker Churton, Vicar of Icklesham, in which parish lies Rye Harbour.