Home Site Map Back
Source: The Illustrated London News, Nov. 16, 1850, p.377
The Mayor, Aldermen, and Burgesses of the borough of Tynemouth, which was incorporated last year, have lately adopted a Corporation Seal, of which the following is the description; viz, the shield bears the arms of the ancient Priory of Tynemouth, which are, on a field gules three crowns or, to which is added a full-rigged ship for a crest, and a sailor and a miner for supporters, with the motto "Messis ab altis"-" Our harvest is from the deeps;" and as the principal trade of the place is in coals, carried by ships to London and abroad, it may not be considered an inappropriate device. A Badge and Gold Chain have just been presented to the Corporation by the ladies of the borough, who subscribed the purchase-money. It is to be the chain of office worn by the Mayor for the time being. The Badge is of chased gold, with the borough arms standing out from the back; the shield being enamelled in the proper colour, with the gold crowns upon it. At the back of the Badge is the following inscription:—
Borough of Tynemouth. Incorporated, 1849.
Presented by the Ladies of the Borough to the Corporation.
W. Linskill, Esq., elected first Mayor, 1849.
The Badge fixes into the button-hole, and the ends of the chain hang from it, as in the Sketch. These handsome insignia were supplied by Messrs. Blackwood, of Tynemouth, silversmiths, who value It at a sum approaching to one hundred guineas. The presentation took place on Saturday last, in the town-hall of the borough.