This bridge is a most elegant structure, and was built after a design of Mr. Robert Mylne. The situation of the ground on the two shores obliged the architect to employ elliptical arches; and they have a very fine effect. There are nine arches, of which the centre is a hundred feet wide. The whole length is 995 feet. The breadth of the carriage-way is twenty-eight feet, and that of the two foot-ways several feet each. Here each pier is a recess, over the beautiful Ionic pillars which support them. The building of this bridge was begun in 1760, and was finished in 1768, at the expense of 152,840l., to be discharged by a toll on the passengers. It is situated almost at an equal distance between those of Westminster and London, commanding a view of the Thames from the latter to Whitehall, and discovering the majesty of St Paul's in a very striking manner.
Source: Leigh's New Picture of London. Printed for Samuel Leigh, 18, Strand;
by W. Clowes, Northumberland Court. 1819