Home Site Map Back

The Temple

Is thus called, because it was anciently the dwellinghouse of the Knights Templars. At the suppression of that order it was purchased by the professors of the common law, and converted into inns. They are called the Inner and Middle Temple, in relation to Essex house, which was also a part of the house of the Ternplars, and called the Outer Temple, because situated without Temple Bar. In the Middle Temple, during the time of the Templars, the king's treasure was kept. The chief officer was the master of the Temple, who was summoned to parliament in 47 Henry III., and from him the chief master of the Temple church is called "Master of the Temple."

The Inner Temple

Is situated to the east of Middle Temple Gate, and has a cloister, a large garden, and spacious walks.

The society consists of benchers, barristers, and students; the former of whom, as governors at commons, have their table at the upper end of the hall, and the barristers and students in the middle.

The Middle Temple

Which joins to the Inner Temple on the west, is thus denominated, in consequence of its having been the middle or central part of the ancient Temple, or Priory of Knights Templars.

Source: Leigh's New Picture of London. Printed for Samuel Leigh, 18, Strand;
by W. Clowes, Northumberland Court. 1819