Home Site Map Back

King's Mews

On the north side of Charing Cross stand the royal stables, called from the original use of the building on their site, the Mews; having been used for keeping the king's falcons, at least from the time of Richard II. In that reign the accomplished Sir Simon Burley, Knight of the Garter, was keeper of the king's falcons, at the Mews. In the reign of Henry VIIIth, the king's horses were kept here. In 1534, a fire destroyed the building. It was rebuilt in the reigns of Edward VI. and Queen Mary. In the year 1732, the present noble edifice was erected. The handsome cream-coloured horses are generally kept in this place, and only used on days of public procession. Strangers are admitted to view the stables, and the persons in attendance are very minute in describing the pedigree, prowess, and age of the horses.

Source: Leigh's New Picture of London. Printed for Samuel Leigh, 18, Strand;
by W. Clowes, Northumberland Court. 1819