Home Site Map Back

Kensington Palace.

Was the seat of the lord chancellor Finch, afterwards earl of Nottingham, and was afterwards purchased by king William, who greatly improved it by causing a royal road to be made to it, through St. James's and Hyde Parks. Queen Mary enlarged the gardens: her sister, queen Anne, improved what Mary had begun: but queen Caroline completed the design by extending the gardens, and by bringing into them what is called the Serpentine River. These gardens are three miles and a half, in circumference, are kept in great order, and in summer-time form, together with Hyde Park, a place of fashionable resort. The building has no pretensions to grandeur, and is very irregular in regard to architecture; yet it possesses some good rooms, and a few excellent pictures.--The Duke of SUSSEX, so well known and so universally respected for his active benevolence, at present resides in this palace; and the Princess of Wales possessed apartments here.

Source: Leigh's New Picture of London. Printed for Samuel Leigh, 18, Strand;
by W. Clowes, Northumberland Court. 1819