Home Site Map Back
Source: The Illustrated London News, July 22 1848, p.48
In the low ground, a little to the east of the North Bridge at Edinburgh, until lately stood the Gothic Collegiate Church, founded and endowed by Mary of Gueldres, wife of James II, in the year 1462; and, at her death, she was buried in the north aisle of the sacred edifice. A short time since, the entire pile was taken down, to make way for the North British Railway; and, during the removal, the remains of the Queen were found. They were carried to the Crown-Office, and, after lying there some time, were ordered to be conveyed to the Chapel Royal, at Holyrood, as their final resting-place. The re-interment tools plate on Saturday last. The Lord Provost, magistrates, and town-council, several members of the Society of Antiquaries, and about 300 ladies and gentlemen, were present on the interesting occasion. At eight o'clock the coffin containing the royal remains was conveyed in a hearse from the Exchequer Chamber to the gate of the Chapel Royal, and was there borne on the shoulder of four men to the royal vault, in the south-east corner of the chapel. The agent of the Duke of Hamilton, as deputy-keeper of the palace, acted as chief mourner, while the right side of the coffin was taken by the Lord Provost. As the procession moved slowly along to the vault, which had previously been prepared for the reception of the Royal remains, the company remained uncovered, and the ceremony at this stage was of a singularly solemn and impressive character. Passing into the royal vault, the floor of which is strewn with all that is left of the Kings and Queens of Scotland, the pall-bearer, deposited the Royal remains in a recess in the south wall, and soon emerged from the tomb, without any religious ceremony being performed. A cast of the skull has, we understand, been taken in presence of a number of eminent literary and scientific gentlemen. The accompanying Illustration of the scene is from a sketch by an Edinburgh artist.