Home Back

July 5.---This day, Parlington, a constable, was dismissed for neglect of duty, in suffering a female prisoner to escape from the watch-house.

July 6.---William Riley, prisoner of the crown, for gross prevarication in giving his evidence in a case of alleged felony, was ordered to the tread-mill for 7 days.

Thomas Neale, William Caton, and Daniel Baker, prisoners of the crown, and lads belonging to the Carter's Barracks, were brought up, charged with having stolen a handkerchief, containing 109 dollars, from the shop of a poor man, a retailer of fruit, in Pitt-street. The first named prisoner had been seen going in and coming out of the shop within a minute, and join the other two, who were in the company with several others of the same description, who all ran off, and for the time escaped, On the Monday following, the fruit man went to the barracks, and the first that that he had exhibited to him was the prisoner Neale, and afterwards the other two, all three of whom he identified. It appears that the poor man had been to his box to get change for a customer, and incautiously left his handkerchief, with all his wealth in it, on the bed; although absent from his shop scarcely 3 minutes he found the dollars had disappeared in the interval. Remanded for further examination.

William Acres, prisoner of the crown, charged with stealing certain articles of wearing apparel from the servant of a publican in George-street was examined; and, as it appeared that the property was found in the prisoner's possesion, and him in the act of folding it up in the yard at the hour of 3 in the morning, and that he had actually a jacket which he had stolen with the other articles over his own, the facts were conclusive, and the prisoner was remanded for further examination.

July 7.---This day John Longbottom and John Macartney, free, but of distinguished notoriety in the Police annals, were brought forward on a charge of stealing a bag, containing 3 bushels of wheat from the Market, the property of a settler at Richmond. The evidence against Longbottom, who when stopped in the street, had the bag on his back, and which he dropped when challenged by the watch, was so strong, that he was fully committed for trial; but as Macartney was only proved to be in his company, he was fortunate enough for this time, to evade the grasp of justice, and was discharged for want of evidence.

Catherine Quin, Mary Ward, and Elizabeth M'Donald, all free, but who had been found at unseasonable hours drunk and disorderly in the street were brought up on separate charges, and sentenced as follows; Catherine Quin, to the stocks for half an hour; Mary Ward, to ditto, for three hours, Elizabeth M'Donald, to ditto, for one hour.

A man, named Hector M'Neale, holding a ticket of leave, who was also found drunk in the street after hours, was ordered to bear the last-mentioned three offenders company in the same machine, for one hour.

Mary Parrott, prisoner of the crown, wife of James Parrott, against whom her injured lord had made complaints on several occasions lately, who had forgiven her past offenses, and again restored her to his bosom in hopes of her amendment, but finding all his indulgence abused, now appeared with his last sad appeal to the consideration of the Bench and having deposed an oath to her violent misconduct, and unquestionable infidelity, procured for her a sentence of 6 months to the Factory, which ? irritated the sinister feelings of the fair frail one, that she made a desperate blow at her deserted husband, in the moment of his exultation at having at length got her disposed of, that the Bench deeming it an addition to her offense to commit such an outrage in a Court of Justice, added six months more to her sentence, and she was destined to the Factory for twelve months.

July 9.---This day, Patrick Kirwan, serjeant in the Buffs, was brought up, having been given up to the Civil Power, on a charge of having in his pocession certain articles of jewelry, stolen in the month of September last, from Lieutenant Thompson, Naval Officer at Launceston, the property was identified in Court, and traced to the possecion of the prisoner. The result was, that after a full and very particular examination into the case, in the course of which, we believe, at least seven dispositions were taken, which went so far to establish the facts in the present stage of the charges, that the prisoner was fully committed to take his trial thereon.

Source: SYDNEY GAZETTE, and New South Wales Advertiser. Published by Authority. VOLUME XXIII. THURSDAY, JULY 14, 1825, NUMBER 1130.