Home Back

St. Mary's Hall, Brighton

Asylums and Grammar Schools

St. Mary's Hall, Brighton, known as "The Clergy School," an institution for educating the daughters of poor clergy, founded 1836, although not a London charity, is deserving a reference here, as nearly sui generis, and as closely connected with the metropolis as many suburban institutions. It maintains, clothes, and educates about 120 daughters of clergymen, at a moderate cost. Children of all poor clergymen of the established Church, at home or abroad, are eligible for nomination. Donors of 50, paid in five years, or one payment, are entitled to nominate. The friends of each pupil had to pay 20 per annum and 4 entrance, which covers every expense, including dress, washing, and medical attendance; music, drawing, and German extra.

Income from contributions and legacies (1860), 1319, and from pupils' payments, 2,812.

Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury.—President, the Bishop of Chichester.—Sec. and Treasurer, Rev. H.V. Elliott.

SOURCE: The Charities of London, by Samuel Low, Jun., London: Sampson Low, Son, and Marston, Milton House, Ludgate Hill. 1861.