Home Back

Merchant Taylors' School

Asylums and Grammar Schools.

Merchant Taylors' School, Suffolk Lane, Canon Street, established 1561, for educating 250 scholars of all nations, on moderate payment. The school is entitled to 21 scholarships of 100 a year each, at St John's College, Oxford, tenable for 7 years: and 22 large and 11 small exhibitions, tenable for various periods, at one or other of the universities. Boys are admitted on the nomination of the 40 members of the Court of Assistants of the Merchant Taylors' Company, in rotation.

Payment, 10 guineas per annum.

Head Master, Rev. J. A. Hessey, D.C.L.

SOURCE: The Charities of London, by Samuel Low, Jun., London: Sampson Low, Son, and Marston, Milton House, Ludgate Hill. 1861.