Home Site Map Back
Source: The Illustrated London News?, Saturday August 10, 1844
On Thursday morning, this new church was consecrated by the Lord Bishop of London, with the accustomed ceremonies. The church is built in the Anglo-norman style, of black brick, relieved with flint; the western front has two square towers, with high-pitched roofs, with a pinnacle at each angle, surmounted with a cross, as is also the main roof. Each tower has three stories, the upper most of which has belfry windows. These towers flank the centre also of three stories; the lowest is occupied by a gabled porch, with a deeply-recessed door-way, the columns of which are of stone, but most of the mouldings of the arches are worked in bricks; and the gabled portion is latticed with bricks, filled in with flints. The second story is an arcade of five arches; the central one being larger than the rest, and serving as a window, whilst the remaining four are flinted; in the centre of the third story is a small circular window, and above is a gable, surmounted by a cross. The main body of the church has side buttresses, and the ? end is lit by a circular window, and terminates in a gable, surmounted with a cross.
The interior is almost devoid of ornament: it has an open timber roof of arches ? from the main beams, and bold supporting corbels; it is not divided ? a nave and aisles; with pews at the sides only, the remainder of the floor being filled up with free seats; at the western end is a small gallery; the pulpit placed on one side of the chancel, or east end; and the reading desk opposite. The decalogue will occupy the arcade beneath the circular window. The windows throughout the church, have a narrow strip of faintly damasked glass running up the centres, flanked with a narrow fillet of stained glass; the doors are stained brown, as is also the timber-work of the roof.
At the north-eastern angle of the church is a small vestry; and on the southern side of the south-western tower is a doorway, with neat decorations; and beneath the several windows runs a zig-zag line in flints.
The effect of the entire composition is pleasing; and the church being placed on high ground, forms an important feature in the prospect from the western suburbs.
London: Printed and Published at the Office, 198, Strand, in the Parish of St. Clement Danes, in the County of Middlesex, by William Little of 198, Strand aforesaid—Saturday, August 10, 1814.