Home Site Map Back

Source: Bell's Weekly Messenger, No.1770, Sunday, February 28, 1830

Extraordinary Discovery

On Wednesday morning, as the workmen were engaged in excavating the ground on the eastern side of Somerset House, on which the new University is to be erected, they discovered, several feet beneath the surface of the soil, the remains of a human skeleton, without any coffin or shell. On digging deeper, they discovered nearly a cart load of skeletons, some of which were nearly entire. The circumstance was mentioned to the authorities at Somerset House, but no one could give any information respecting it, or throw any light on the subject. Stowe, the historian, relates that several buildings were pulled down to make room for Somerset House, among which was the original church of the parish of St. Mary-le-Strand, which then stood on the site of the houses east of Somerset house, opposite the present church. On the demolition of the sacred edifice, the bodies of all those interred therein were exhumed, and buried in a hole made for the purpose. The exact spot is not mentioned, but there is very little doubt that the repository just discovered was the place chosen for the occasion, and this supposition is strengthened by the fact, that the pit appears to have been of a square form, and the bodies, with very few exceptions, have been regularly placed one upon another. Among them were two skulls, and several bones of extraordinary dimensions, and which must have belonged to a person of gigantic structure.

Search this web site for Surnames / Places