Home Site Map Back

Cumberland Benevolent Institution

Cumberland Benevolent Institution, London Tavern, established 1734, for affording relief by pensions of 30s. monthly to indigent natives of the county and their widows, who have become reduced from prosperous circumstances, residing within 10 miles of St. Paul's. Since 1827, 129 persons have been permanently relieved. During the past year, 37 pensioners were on the books.

The average income is 600, dependent for all above 132 on voluntary contributions.

Treasurer, John Reay, Esq.—Chaplain, Rev J. Cape, M.A.—Hon. Secretary William Jennings, Esq.—Collector and Secretary, Mr. William W. E. Atkin, 80, Florence Road, Deptford, S.E.

SOURCE: The Charities of London, by Samuel Low, Jun., London: Sampson Low, Son,
and Marston, Milton House, Ludgate Hill. 1861.