Home Site Map Back

Permanent Fund of the Society of Licensed Victuallers,

Permanent Fund of the Society of Licensed Victuallers, 127, Fleet Street, E. C., established 1794; incorporated 1836. Grants weekly allowances, at the present time, to 380 persons amounting in the aggregate to above 5,000 per annum; 2,703 to the maintenance and education of 130 children in the school; and temporary relief to 88 persons during the last year. Total amount distributed since being established, 378,263. This fund is derived mainly from the licensed victuallers' newspaper, the Morning Advertiser. Members of the fund have to pay an admission fee of 3 : 3s. and take in the newspaper daily, so long as they remain in the business, and upon giving up business, to pay 22s. per annum in lieu thereof.

Governor, Mr. Jones, Boar's Head, Cannon Street, E. C.—Secretary, Mr. William Smalley.

SOURCE: The Charities of London, by Samuel Low, Jun., London: Sampson Low, Son,
and Marston, Milton House, Ludgate Hill. 1861.