Home Site Map Back

Society of Schoolmasters

Society of Schoolmasters, 4, Adelphi Terrace, W. C., instituted 1798, as a benefit society for members only. A charitable fund was at the same time instituted for the relief of distressed subscribers, their widows and children. In 1821 the assurance fund was relinquished, and the institution then became purely charitable. Grants are now made to the widows and children of such as are in distress; but schoolmasters, who have been subscribers, and their families, are regarded as having the first claim to consideration. During the past year 32 cases have been relieved, to the amount of 296.

Income during the year, 511.

Treasurer, Rev. John Russell, D. D.—Honorary Physician, Patrick Fraser, Esq., M. D.—Secretary, Octavian Blewitt, Esq.—Collector, Mr. Henry Syer Bristow.

SOURCE: The Charities of London, by Samuel Low, Jun., London: Sampson Low, Son,
and Marston, Milton House, Ludgate Hill. 1861.