Home Site Map Back

The Scientific Relief Fund

The Scientific Relief Fund, office of the Royal Society, Burlington House, originated in 1859 by several members of the Royal Society contributing sums of 100 each, followed by various amounts from other persons to the extent of nearly 5,000, "to promote the establishment of a permanent fund for the aid of such scientific men, or their families, as may from time to time require and deserve assistance."

The amount collected is invested in the name of the Royal Society, the interest remaining at the disposition of the President and Council to administer, through a committee, to such cases as may be recommended by the Councils of the six chartered societies,—the Astronomical, Chemical, Geographical, Geological, Linnæan, and the Royal Societies, through their respective Presidents.

The grants are entered on the minutes, and annual cash statements will appear in the financial statements of the Royal Society.

Contributions received by Sir J. W. Lubbock, Bart. and Co. Secretary, Mr. W. White, Assistant-Secretary to the Royal Society.

SOURCE: The Charities of London, by Samuel Low, Jun., London: Sampson Low, Son,
and Marston, Milton House, Ludgate Hill. 1861.