Home Site Map Back
Source: The Illustrated London News, May 11, 1850
The annual meeting of the British Missions comprising the Home Missionary and the Irish Evangelical and Colonial Society, took place on Tuesday evening, at Exeter Hall; Mr. Samuel Morley in the chair. The chairman, in opening the proceedings, stated that the society materially tended to the increase of human happiness, and to the physical comfort of the people. Its object was the spiritual elevation of their fellow-countrymen ; and, of all forms of mission, the home mission was the most useful. (Hear, Hear.) The report stated that the increasing numbers, the activity, the influence of the Anglo-Saxon race in all lands, was a phenomenon deserving marked attention in the work of modern missions. The language, the commerce, and the religion of a people so endowed could not pervade all countries without producing the greatest changes. Home and foreign missions had become the glory of Britain. The Home Missionary Society was restricted in its operations, and it was desirable, as far as possible, so to concentrate their strength as to give increased efficiency to its operations. There were now employed by the society, or partially aided by its funds, 116 agents or missionaries, nearly 100 laymen, 1652 Sunday-school teachers, whose ministrations were attended by more than 41,000 hearers, and about 12,700 scholars; their chapels or preaching-rooms numbered nearly 450, scattered amongst 400 villages and hamlets. The receipts for the past year amounted to £6159 7s. 8d., and the expenditure £6360. The report was adopted, and several gentlemen having addressed the meeting, resolutions founded on the report were then submitted to the meeting, and agreed to. After a vote of thanks to the chairman, the meeting separated.