Home Site Map Back
Source: The Illustrated London News, June 26, 1875, p.615
The Incorporated Society for Promoting the Enlargement, Building, and Repairing of Churches and Chapels, held its usual monthly meeting, on Monday, at the society's house, 7, Whitehall—the Bishop of Winchester in the chair. Grants of money were made in aid of the following objects; viz. :—Building new churches at Awbridge, in the parish of Michelmersh, near Romsey, Hants; St. John's, in the parish of St. Luke's, Chelsea, Middlesex; Holborn, St. John's, Middlesex; Hornsey, Middlesex; Leeds, St. Alban-the-Martyr; Luton, High Town, Beds; Polegate, near Hailsham Sussex; and Purston, in the parish of Featherston, York. Rebuilding the churches of Great Stainton, near Stockton-on-Tees; Laxton, near Howden, York; Lllandegveth, near Caerleon; Penegoes, near Machynlleth, Merioneth; Rhoscolyn, near Holyhead; and Sandhutton, near Thirsk, York. Enlarging or otherwise increasing the accommodation in the churches at Bledlow, near Tring, Bucks; Bucknall, near Horncastle, Lincoln; Cranbrook, Kent; Edworth, near Baldock, Beds; Ettisley, near Caxton, Cambridge; Hambledon, near Horndean, Hants; Hinckley, Leicester; Putley, near Ledbury, Hereford; Rodmersham, near Sittingbourne, Kent; Stadhampton, near Wallingford, Berks; Upchurch, near Sittingbourne, Kent; and Witham Friary, near Bath. Under urgent circumstances, the grants formerly made towards restoring the churches at Glen Magna, near Leicester, and Poling, near Arundel, Sussex, were each increased. Grants were also made from the Special School-Church and Mission-House Fund towards building school or mission churches at Brighton, St. Mary, Sussex; Forebridge, Stafford; Greasley, in the parish of Brinsley, Notts; Rhosddu, near Wrexham; Skirbeck, near Boston, Lincoln; and Vincheley, in the parish of St. Ouen's, Jersey. At this meeting the Rev. Ralph Milburn Blakiston was elected secretary in the place of the late Rev. G. Ainslie.