Home Site Map Back

Princely Donation

Source: The Illustrated London News, August 31, 1844, p.144

A short time since an anonymous letter was forwarded to the Bishop of London with the princely sum of 5000, and a request to apply the amount "for the erection of a church in the metropolis." Since the receipt, an eligible site for the erection of a sacred edifice has been purchased by some charitable individual, in Charlotte-street, Fitzroy-square, at a cost of nearly 5500, upon which a church will be built for a district which contains a population of more than 16,000 persons.