Home Site Map Back
Source: The Illustrated London News, Sept 8, 1883
The operations for erecting the large clock outside the tower at the New Royal Courts of Justice opposite Temple Bar have been commenced. The present fittings and dial, which have been up for some months past, will be entirely removed and replaced by new ones. The dial, which measures 8 ft. 6 in. in diameter, will be composed of opal glass, which will show white by day and will be plainly visible at night. The hands will be black, as will also be the figures and minutes, while the rings and mouldings will be gilt. The clock will be illuminated by gas for the present, but it is expected that eventually the electric light, will be used. It will be worked with the Rementoir escapement, by which time long hands will move once every minute. The hours will be struck on a 3 ½ ton bell, time quarters being given by smaller bells. The task of erecting the machinery has been placed in the hands of Messrs. Gillett and Co., of Croydon.