Home Site Map Back
Source: The Illustrated London News, Nov 17, 1855, p.593
This elegant mural monument is now in course of erection by the citizens of London, Canada West, where the late Colonel Chester, with his regiment, was quartered for a considerable time, and gained general esteem.
This is an excellent demonstration of feeling for the 'old country,' which will be highly acceptable to remaining friends in the Crimea.
The monument is sixteen feet high and six feet wide; is of freestone; the inscription slab of marble. It will occupy a prominent position in the tower porch of the Church of St. Paul. The architects are Messrs. Smith and Beattie.