Home Site Map Back
Source: The Illustrated London News, Sept 8, 1883
Newark having been enriched with a free library by the generosity of Mr. William Gilstrap, of Fornham Park, Bury St. Edmund's (a native of the borough), at a cost, with the land and endowment, of about £10,000, the inhabitants invited Mr. and Mrs. Gilstrap to a soirée, in order that they might publicly testify their high appreciation of his wise munificence. The Corn Exchange, where the meeting took place. was crowded, under the presidency of Mr. S. Whiles, and the generous donor met with an enthusiastic reception.