Home Site Map Back
Source: The Illustrated London News, Jan 30, 1864, p.99
During the progress of the excavations for the high-level metropolitan sewer at East Ham, Essex, on a site about three miles from the ancient Roman intrenchment at Uphall, near Ilford, discovery has been made of remains which indicate the existence of a Roman cemetery on this spot, which is about 800 yards from East Ham Church, and bordering the North Woolwich Marshes. Amongst the relics found are a large and massive stone sarcophagus, 6 ft. 9 in. long by 2 ft. 1 in. wide, covered with a heavy coped lid, and containing two skeletons of adults lying side by side; four leaden coffins containing skeletons of adults; another leaden coffin, 4 ft. 10 in. long, containing two skeletons of young persons; several Roman urns containing burnt bones, and numerous other skeletons, which had, no doubt, been interred in wooden coffins. The sarcophagus and most of the coffins have been removed to East Ham Church.