Home Site Map Back
Source: The Illustrated London News, August 5, 1848, p.78
The removal of the lath and plaster rubbish which has long encumbered the old cloisters on the east side of Westminster Hall, has let in the light on their great and manifold beauties. The minute and elegant sculptured decorations, which are carried web-like over the whole surface, make the so-called excess of decoration on the new parts appear positive plainness by comparison. The little chapel offers many points deserving of study. In the course of the operations, some of the old Norman work forming the side of the hall has become exposed, it shows two semicircular-headed windows, with a hatched string-course underneath. The object of the clearance is to effect the communication between the new Houses and Westminster Hall.—The Builder.