IT was founded in 1807 for the purpose of instructing and civilizing Africa—an immense but a laudable undertaking. Many schools have been established, particularly at Sierra Leone. On the 31st of March 1817, the total number of scholars male and female educated in the different schools at Sierra Leone, amounted to 1,422, being an increase of 185 in the preceding six months! The schools, (twelve in number,) were usually well attended, and both males and females appeared zealous to reap the advantages of the instruction given them. The "royal British," and "Dr. Bell's" systems of education are adopted. Last year's receipts were 1,418l. The institution is strongly supported by Messrs. Wilberforce, Stephens, Brougham, &c.; and it is patronised by the excellent duke of Gloucester.
The Institution publishes a report annually; and its reports are uncommonly valuable for its regular details respecting the progress made to abolish the slave trade, by the various foreign powers, as well as unfolding the success attending the efforts to civilize and instruct Africa. The members generally meet at the Westminster Library in Jermyn street.
Source: Leigh's New Picture of London. Printed for Samuel Leigh, 18, Strand;
by W. Clowes, Northumberland Court. 1819