THE object of this school is to instruct the indigent blind in trades, by which they may be able wholly, or in part, to provide for their own subsistence. It commenced in 1799, when a place was procured in St. George's Fields; but since that period, an excellent establishment has been raised for them near the Obelisk. The institution has been most successful. During a period of little more than eight years, it returned thirty persons to their families, able to earn from 7s. to 18s. per week. There are upwards of sixty persons, males and females, of late years, received into the establishment; and from their exertions between 600l. and 1,000l. a year is received in aid of the general expenses. All under twelve are now deemed inadmissible; but no age above eighteen is considered a disqualification, while the strength remains unimpaired, and the fingers are flexible. The manufactures carried on there, particularly in threads, lines, mats, baskets, &c., are extensive; and the ability evinced by many of the pupils is truly amazing.
Source: Leigh's New Picture of London. Printed for Samuel Leigh, 18, Strand;
by W. Clowes, Northumberland Court. 1819