Home Site Map Back

London Hospital

, that a large and grand hospital was built in Whitechapel road, and a charter of incorporation gained, Dec. 2, 1759. The patients relieved here are sick and wounded seamen, watermen, coal-heavers, sbipwrights, ropemakers, labourers in the several docks, and on the quays, to whom it is of peculiar advantage, from its situation being contiguous to the scene of such persons' occupations.

Attached to this hospital there is what is called an Accumulating Fund. It was instituted for the purpose of providing for the future exigencies of the establishment, and to secure its permanent support by allowing certain annual subscriptions to accumulate for a number of years at compound interest. The fund is under certain orders and regulations, and it is subjected to the control of 21 guardians, chosen every three years.

Source: Leigh's New Picture of London. Printed for Samuel Leigh, 18, Strand;
by W. Clowes, Northumberland Court. 1819