Home Site Map Back

Hospital of St. Luke.

Picture of Hospital

This extensive building, in Old-street Road, was finished at the close of the year 1786. The house accommodates 300 patients, 200 on the curable, and 100 on the incurable list. It appears from the printed state of this hospital, that the number of patients received into it, from the opening on the 30th of July 1751, to the 21st of March 1809, inclusive, amounted to 9,042; of whom those discharged uncured, and received again at seven shillings a week, are 323. Of these 3,915 have been discharged cured, and 3,101 discharged uncured, 783 discharged as idiots, 748 died, and 251 taken away at the desire of friends. Of the incurable, 56 were taken away at the desire of friends, 145 died, and 18 were cured. The income of this hospital in 1808, was about 9,000l. per annum, and the expenditure of the same year nearly 8,000l.

Persons, paying the entire sum of twenty guineas or upwards, or paying seven guineas at least, and signing an agreement to pay three pounds eighteen shillings for the four next succeeding years, are admitted governors of this hospital; nine of whom constitute a general court, held on the third Wednesday in February, every year.

This institution, however, originated in 1732; and first existed at a place called Windmill Hill, on the north side of the Upper Moorfields. The present building cost 55,000l. Its range is immense, near 500 feet in length. It is a solid brick building; and utility rather than show appears to have been the laudable object that guided its structure. Its interior, the several apartments for the patients as well as the officers, are all of a very superior order it takes its name from the parish in which it is built.

Source: Leigh's New Picture of London. Printed for Samuel Leigh, 18, Strand;
by W. Clowes, Northumberland Court. 1819