Home Site Map Back

Merchant Tailors' School

This celebrated school is situated on the east side of Suffolk Lane, and was founded by the company of merchant tailors in 1561, under the mastership of Emanuel Lucas; Richard Hills, a former master of the company, having previously given 500l. towards the purchase of a house for that purpose. But that house having been destroyed by the great fire in 1666, the present buildings were erected upon the same spot, at the charge of the company. This school is a spacious building, supported on the east by many stone pillars, which form a handsome cloister, within which are apartments for the three ushers. Adjoining to the school is a library, supported in the same manner by pillars of stone, and well furnished with books. South of the library is the chapel; and contiguous to these is a large house, appropriated to the head master.

In this school about 300 boys are educated; of which number, by the statutes of the foundation, 100 are taught gratis ;—50 at 2s. 6d. per quarter ;—and 100 at 5s. Certain annual examinations, or probations, are appointed, at which public exercises are performed by the scholars, of whom several are yearly sent to St. John's College, Oxford, which appears to have been principally founded for their use, having no less than 46 fellowships in that college.

Patrons, Merchant Tailors' Company.

Source: Leigh's New Picture of London. Printed for Samuel Leigh, 18, Strand;
by W. Clowes, Northumberland Court. 1819