Home Site Map Back

The Royal Military Asylum

This institution is also situated at Chelsea. The first stone of the building was laid by his royal highness the Duke of YORK, on the 19th of June, 1801. It is a handsome edifice, and admits 700 boys, and 300 girls, the children of soldiers who have died, or are toiling, in the service of their country. The former are educated according to the system of Dr. Bell, in reading, writing, and the useful parts of arithmetic; and the latter in needlework, and the different branches of household work.

Source: Leigh's New Picture of London. Printed for Samuel Leigh, 18, Strand;
by W. Clowes, Northumberland Court. 1819