Home Site Map Back

St. Paul's School

This school is situated on the east side of St. Paul's Church-yard, and was founded in 1509 by Dr. Colet, Dean of St. Paul's cathedral, the surviving son of Sir Henry Colet, twice lord mayor. It was instituted for the free education of 153 boys, by a master, an usher, and a chaplain, under the regulation of the mercers' company, who were appointed trustees of the foundation.—The school consists of eight classes, or forms. In the first, the children learn their rudiments. From thence, according to their proficiency, they are advanced to the other forms, till they rise to the eighth. From which being commonly well instructed in Latin, Greek, and Hebrew, and sometimes in various oriental languages, they are removed to the universities, where many of them enjoy exhibitions, to assist in the expenses of their education.

Source: Leigh's New Picture of London. Printed for Samuel Leigh, 18, Strand;
by W. Clowes, Northumberland Court. 1819