Home Site Map Back

Sion College

This institution is situated in London Wall. On the site of this building there was formerly a nunnery, which, having fallen to decay, was purchased by William Elsynge, citizen and mercer, and converted into a college and hospital, called from his name Elsynge Spital, near Cripplegate, for a warden, and four priests, and 100 sick persons, in the year 1329; but in the year 1340, he changed the college into an Austin priory, valued at 193l., and at his request, the priests were decreed to be canons regular of the order of St. Augustin, of whom he became the prior, subject to the visitation of the dean and chapter of St. Paul's; the priory was afterwards granted to sir John Williams, master of the jewel office to Henry VIII., who, with Sir Rowland Hayward, inhabited it when it was destroyed by fire. In 1623, it was rescued from oblivion by Dr. Thomas White, who, by his will, dated the 1st of October of that year, bequeathed 3,000l. towards purchasing and building a college and alms-house on the ancient site. The executors of his will, Simpson and Kelynge, purchased the whole for 2,450l., of Robert Parkhurst, alderman, and erected the present college. It is held by two charters of incorporation, dated July 3d, 6 Car. 1., and June 20th, 16 Car. II. By these authorities, a president, two deans, and four assistants, with all the rectors and vicars, lecturers and curates, of the city and suburbs, were constituted to be a corporation, and an alms-house for ten men and ten women were also established. Dr. White bad endowed these by a rent-charge of 120l. per annum, besides 40l. per annum for the common charges of the college. The Bishop of London is visitor. In addition to the founder's benevolence, the college holds a farm in Hertfordshire by the devise of Brewer, in 1634.

Source: Leigh's New Picture of London. Printed for Samuel Leigh, 18, Strand;
by W. Clowes, Northumberland Court. 1819