Lord Monck has been appointed an additional Land Commissioner in Ireland, at a salary of £3000 per annum.
Colonel Brackenbury has resigned his post as Director of the new Criminal Investigation Department in Ireland.
Rear-Admiral Sir Francis W. Sullivan has been appointed second in command of the Channel Squadron.
The London School Board has adopted a scheme for the establishment of evening classes for the study of science and ordinary subjects in connection with the Board Schools.
Subscriptions amounting to considerably over £2000 have been promised in Barrow towards the proposed statue to the late Lord F. Cavendish, which it is intended to erect there.
By a recent decision of the First Commissioner of Works hackney cabs and all passenger vehicles can now enter and pass through Regent's Park at all hours of the day and night.
The London Literary and Artistic Union held their fourth conversazione, and first public concert and art exhibition, on Tuesday evening at St. James's Hall.
The Duchess of Edinburgh has given £5 to the funds of the Thames Church Mission; and the Mercers' and Grocers' Companies have each given £25.
The ship Northampton, 1161 tons, Captain Clare, chartered by Sir Saul Samuel, Agent-General for New South Wales sailed from Plymouth on the 20th inst. with 371 emigrants.
Mr. P.L. Simmonds has been appointed to act as British Commissioner for the Amsterdam Colonial International Exhibition in 1883.
Lord Kimberley has provisionally accepted the office of Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster. He continues to hold the office of Secretary of State for the Colonies.
Sir Henry Page Turner Barron, Bart., Secretary of her Majesty's Legation at Brussels, has been appointed a Companion of the Order of St. Michael and St. George.
Mr. Arthur Pease, M.P., has accepted the office of president of the British and Foreign Anti-Slavery Society, rendered vacant by the death of the late Mr. Samuel Gurney.
The annual exhibition in connection with the National Carnation and Picotee Society took place on Tuesday in the conservatory of the Royal Horticultural Gardens, South Kensington, and in every respect proved quite a success.
Captain Mills, C.M.G., who has been for many years officially connected with the Cape Government, is its new Agent-General in London. His official residence is at the Albert Mansions.
General Sir F.P. Haines, Lieutenant-Colonel R.S. Liddell, 10th Hussars, and Captain R.F. Johnson, Royal Artillery, have been selected to attend the manoeuvres of the Russian army at Krasnoe Selo, which are to take place on Aug. 1.
The funds of the Wolverhampton and Staffordshire Hospital have been increased by the liberality of a member of the Weekly Board of Governors, who has handed in a cheque for £1000, as a free gift, to be used in extending the accommodation for fever patients.
The Lord Chancellor has appointed Mr. Thomas Hughes, Q.C., to the County Court Circuit No. 9, vacant by the resignation of Mr. Yates; and Mr. Thomas Milnes Colmore has been appointed Recorder of Warwick, in the place of Mr. Campbell Foster, deceased.
The directors of the Royal Caledonian Asylum have received from the lady patronesses, through the Duke of Athole and Sir John Heron Maxwell a cheque for £193 being a moiety of the proceeds of the Grand Caledonian Fancy-Dress Ball held at Willis's Rooms last month.
The marble bust of the late Mr. Frank Buckland, which was publicly subscribed for, and formally presented to the authorities at South Kensington in May last by Prince Christian, has now been placed in its permanent position at the entrance to the fish museum. The work was executed by Mr. J. Warrington Wood, of the Villa Campagna, Rome.
The 20th inst. saw the conclusion of the sale of pictures, and works of art, from the Hamilton Palace, which began on June 17, and has occupied seventeen clear days. The grand total of the sale has been £397,567, which, with the £31,000 realised by the first portion of the Beckford Library, makes the full amount £428,567.
The Countess of Aberdeen on the 20th inst. distributed the prizes to the. successful pupils at the Burlington Middle-Class School for Girls in Boyle-street, Piccadilly; and on the same; day Mrs. Gladstone, accompanied by Miss Gladstone, attended at the schools in Kingsgate-street, Red Lion-square, attached to the Church of St. John the Evangelist, Holborn, and distributed the prizes to the children.
The Marquis of Ripon was on the 20th inst. elected, at the annual meeting of the Governors, President of the Yorkshire College, in place of the late Lord F. Cavendish. It was announced at the meeting that the London Clothworkers' Company have offered to subscribe £400 towards a Cavendish Memorial Chair of Physics, conditional upon £7000 being raised in Yorkshire.
Source: The Illustrated London News, No.2256—Vol. LXXXI, Saturday, July 29, 1882, p.111