The New Corn Exchange at Ipswich, of which we gave an Illustration when the first stone was laid, in October, 1880, was publicly opened on Wednesday week. It is situated in King-street, adjoining the Townhall; and is a handsome building in the Italian style of architecture, with a front of white Portland stone adorned with pilasters of Dumfries red stone : there are good shops in front, and the interior clear space is 123 ft. by 48 ft., lighted from the roof. Mr. Brightwen Binyon is the architect, and the builders are Messrs. Grimwood and Sons, of Sudbury, at a cost of nearly £22,000. The opening day was made an important local public festival, the great success of which seems to have been mainly due to the spirit of the excellent Mayor of Ipswich, Mr. Fish, who is one of the leading tradesmen of the town, and is also a liberal patron of Art. His Worship presided, with Mrs. Fish, at a sumptuous déjeuner provided in the Corn Exchange for a very large company of gentleman. Among the speakers were Lord Waveney, Lord Gwydir, and Lord John Hervey; Colonel Barne, M.P., and Mr. Jesse Collings, M.P.; the Mayors of Yarmouth and Colchester; Alderman E. Packard, Mr. Felix Cobbold, Messrs. R. L. Everett and Herman Biddell, Mr. C. H. Cowell, and Mr. J. E. Ransome, who represented the local interests of trade and agriculture; and Mr. C. S. Parkes, Chairman of the Great Eastern Railway. The Mayor also provided, at his own cost, for the entertainment of the towns-folk in general, a splendid display of fireworks in Christchurch Park, terminating with a pyrotechnic representation of the New Corn Exchange.
Source: The Illustrated London News, No.2257—Vol. LXXXI, Saturday, August 5, 1882, p.139