It is situated in Crosby square, and is so called from its builder Sir John Crosby, sheriff of London, in 1470. In this house, Richard duke of Gloucester lodged, after his innocent nephews were conveyed to the Tower, and when he meditated on their murder. The hall, called Richard III.'s Chapel, is 87 feet in length, 28 feet wide, and 36 feet high; but for the convenience of its occupiers (wharfingers and packers) it has been divided into floors. This house, when erected, is supposed to have been the highest in London.—The mansion of Crosby-house was granted by Henry VIII. to Anthony Bonvica, an Italian merchant. In Elizabeth's time, it was appropriated to the reception of ambassadors. In Charles II.'s reign, it was appropriated to the non-conformists who retained it upwards of a century. Crosby House is now rented by wharfingers and packers.
Other London Buildings:
Source: Leigh's New Picture of London. Printed for Samuel Leigh, 18, Strand;
by W. Clowes, Northumberland Court. 1819